Sign in to follow this  
Nathan Mazzeo

Limits of Built Sr20DET

Hi All, I've just picked up a 95model series1 aussie 200sx. Previous owner has done all the work for me and wanted a "safe" tune. It has a full forged and built SR20 bottom end, heads ported polished with cams and springs running a gt28 on 17psi and apexi power fc. the dyno sheet says I have close to 300kw in 4th gear. Just wanting to know what are the limits with out blowing things up? hw much boost I can run and is this normal figures out of a built sr20. I should add it has a 300zx gear box for strength. I need to be prepared for the new HSV coming out with 430KW haha not a holden fan

Nice pick up bro.

Those numbers don't really add up though.

A T28 will not make anywere near 300kw.

Are you sure it's not 300HP? Which equates to around 220kw which is around the max a factory t28 will make.

Even a Disco 2860rs is getting close to its max depending on the rear housing.

Edited by greens14

Keep adding boost til it pings, then back it off a touch.

Any proof for the engines contents supplied with sale.??

If there's any GT28 framed turbo hanging off the side i highly doubt the sheet matches to whats on the car at the moment.

Big question is

What parts are used and who put it together

Not all rebuilds are the same With experience comes knowledge

lol nothing suss

with this stuff basically treat it like any other engine, unless you're going to pull it down to check it, you really have no idea about it whats in it or build quality, kents talk alot of shit.

Edited by R32GTRS

Be careful some people talk crap to make a sale sound better. only way is like r32gtrs said is pull it down to see what it has. A mate got burned like that he got this car that the owner said it had full forged internals after cranking up the power it blew up on the dyno revealing it was full of stock internals.

Full forged, I assume forged crank too?

or just forged pistons and stock crank?

People always say "oh mah gord bro, my motor izz fully forged"

close to 300kw at 17 psi safe tune on "gt28" turbo? ok

what the hell is gt28? could mean anything

Thanks everyone for comments. I'm going to brisbane tuning for it to be checked out and tuned. I do have tax invoice for all engine work which was carried out by CMR at capalaba. I will post on how it all goes. Thanks again guys!

Tried giving CMR a call? They might have information if you provide the block number (maybe not but there's a chance)

Yeah ill be interested to see the results. Im just putting an s14 together with a new motor would be happy to see 240Kw

I've seen quite a few 2871s get close to the 300kw mark

With a .86 housing, E85 or other high performance fueling and a slightly happy dyno it is certainly in its range, but not comfortably or not as I know off actually hitting 300

Plenty of stock-internal'd SRs have hit the 300kwatw mark over the years, but certainly not with any T2-based turbo.

Yep agreed, i just cant see it with with anything other than a 30" +

Full forged, I assume forged crank too?

or just forged pistons and stock crank?

People always say "oh mah gord bro, my motor izz fully forged"

stock crank is forged, most aftermarket cranks are billet some are forged.

when people say fully forged it means it has forged pistons and rods as thats about the only parts in the sr that are forged, everything else is casted, billet or drawn.

t28 wont hit 300kw, only happy dyno and a laggy set up with e85 will get close to 300kw with a t28, would be a piece of shit to drive, i dare say figures are in correct or the turbo is larger than expected.