Sign in to follow this  
Ballinismyhobby

Dealing with players

This could be any sport. But mine is basketball.

I play in a local league. I'm ok, not great but far from bad. I'm a solid reliable combo guard.

Last week our team captain broke his collar bone at the end of the game. He has since put me in charge. I don't have a problem leading the team which I basically did already since I have a fairly good knowledge of the game. However I am looking for opinions on how to deal with a recent issue.

We are short on players at the moment thanks to some recent injuries, and now one of the players has said he can't play this week due to it being valentines day. We were left with 4 players. I have sourced some outside help who are keen to get onto the team. So my question is what do I do about this player? He has been unreliable in the past but this is a new low. I feel disrespected my his lack of committment as does the team. But am I being to hard on him?

I want to drop him and just use him as a fill in if needed. Or make him apologise to the team and earn his playing time back.... Any opinions??

• Upvote 1

how much time did he give in advance, you should have factored for this possibility as well - as stupid as it sounds, have the players signed contracts or anything to state their training & playing commitments.

Ask him what he thinks about his commitment and how he thinks the team views it as well and if he can improve it. Ask him if he still wants to play seriously, he might just be hanging on because he's too shy/embarrassed to ask about leaving.

What division ? is it serious BBall or just for fun?

Edited by TheApothecary
  • Upvote 1

He doesnt want to play cause he has valentines day plans with his gf?

Yes kick him off the team what a homo he must be.

Or is it the championship games and there is $25k on the line?

Doesn't matter if it's a championship game or not. Point is your letting your team down. If we could not get numbers we'd have to forfeit which means paying our teams fee plus the other teams fee. f**k that.

So you have replacement players already and want to kick him off team cause he is choosing his partner over a game of basketball?

I've captained a sporting team at a reasonable level, managing a team is your role and you have to keep the players focused. What level are you playing at? Social basketball at a weak standard doesn't allow you to be as stringent as playing at a competitive amateur/pro level.

Best initial thing I've found to do is tell them that what are they are doing is not acceptable and not for the better of the team. Let him know the standard you demand

ask him if he's serious and tell him theres other guys lining up to take his spot. if theres no prizemoney involved then u could sit him out for another game and if hes keen to get back in the team let him play again but make it his last chance.

it sucks because its a team sport and u dont have a coach to make these decisions

Edited by Marko

If he can't play he should have to find a fill-in himself, preferably someone who is of a similar skill level (e.g. the best sub you have). Rather than just you having a chat with him, can't you get the whole team to talk to him at once. Maybe the best time would be when you see him next and have to tell him you got your bum kicked because he was away.

I would probably do the above if involved in a social competition, if it was a regional comp it would be a lot different.

I've faced the same problems as a player at a fairly competitive level and can tell you that confronting him as a captain or team is as beneficial as tits on a bull, one of two things will most likely happen; he'll continue skipping games and training, or he'll just quit playing. Especially in recreational calibre basketball. You have replacements so your issue seems more like a non issue..

Just give him less court time and if he questions you let him know that others are more committed and as thus deserve more court time, this will give him an incentive to start respecting his teammates more, rather than feeling alienated because his team ganged up on him. If this was pro ball and you were a GM or head of ops then you'd have the privilege of confronting him, but it isn't and you have to recognize that people have commitments outside of social grade basketball and in all honesty, sacrificing pussy for social ball seems kinda gay lol...

If the mentioned issue has been resolved I'm going to feel like a major ock

Hahaha

Yea I replied late.. COME AT ME BRO lol