Sign in to follow this  
antonio

Drifting at Calder Park.. Is it now possible?

So, with calder park recently updating there pricing to a much more competive rate it now does open the door with chances of drifting once again returning to where it 1st started off in Melbourne (not on the streets you bloody hooligans!!!)

Quickly jumped on the phone and gave them a call, I asked about Normal track hire, and time attack.. Then decided to give her the magical question 'What about Drifting?' it is a normal Motorsport really.. Now she didnt say No and will have to get another lady to call me back, So i was eager to know the answer, i then got another person from my work to call, Since we use Calder Park privately, and they didnt get an answer either!

So we now wait, with Calder Park yet to call me back.. And await possibly good or bad news.. Numbers wise its do able.. There's no reason it cant be done.. But being a person who respects VicDrift we dont want to strangle them with too many drift days.

Until further notice, we wait and wait.. Until Mrs. Calder Lady either calls me or somebody else gets more info!

Bring back Thursday Night Drifting :)

Man it would be sick doing the big sweeper into the pit lane! Concrete walls ether side, fingers crossed!

It was on Wednesday's not thursdays Antonio

Haha miss gym... I missed gym tonight to watch new jersey shore :lol: doesnt take much

Ill spend my supplement money on entry to calder drift days if they happen! Definently down!

I guess we can discuss it at the General meeting. Lets keep talk of other track options offline as the topic can become heated and can conflict with current arrangements in place.

At the end of the day VicDrift is about promoting and supporting legal off street drifting. If the venue is there and the demand is there we will pursue it. 2011 will tell if the current supply of days is enough or not for the demand. Very easy to say "Yeah I'm down" but when the entries open and its time to pay it could be another story especially if events become as regular as every 2-3 weeks. Already its quite packed and given people use that time to work on cars and prepare and recoup funds unsure if a lesser gap between events is feasible

As always, I'm open to discussion and can discuss at next weeks General meeting.

In winter i snowboard weekly, so I'll be up for it as much as possible, only thing stopping me is if a mechanical failure happens, lucky Donny has got an apprentice who owns a mechanic shop

I'm massive what you talkn about

would be good. winton is fking miles away. so draining and costly.

I guess we can discuss it at the General meeting. Lets keep talk of other track options offline as the topic can become heated and can conflict with current arrangements in place.

At the end of the day VicDrift is about promoting and supporting legal off street drifting. If the venue is there and the demand is there we will pursue it. 2011 will tell if the current supply of days is enough or not for the demand. Very easy to say "Yeah I'm down" but when the entries open and its time to pay it could be another story especially if events become as regular as every 2-3 weeks. Already its quite packed and given people use that time to work on cars and prepare and recoup funds unsure if a lesser gap between events is feasible

As always, I'm open to discussion and can discuss at next weeks General meeting.

Well what may hurt VicDrift is that if Drifting is allowed at Calder Park, it will open up the possibilities for Private people to start renting it out.. Something VicDrift wont be able to stop.. Really would have to be a friendship if somebody decides to hire it and try not to clash it with a week leading upto a VicDrift day.

But lets keep the speculation till we get some info back from Calder Park!

Every year this comes up. Every year Calder lead people on and then ultimately say no and the topic fades away without actually posting what was said.

Good luck though.

Well what may hurt VicDrift is that if Drifting is allowed at Calder Park, it will open up the possibilities for Private people to start renting it out.. Something VicDrift wont be able to stop.. Really would have to be a friendship if somebody decides to hire it and try not to clash it with a week leading upto a VicDrift day.

But lets keep the speculation till we get some info back from Calder Park!

I do belive there is a new law in place in regards to fair trading and competition that has come in force that means winton can no longer only rent out drift days to vic drift they will have to rent out to other people as such as atm vicdrift have the monopoly and i believe the law says no to this

might want to look it up as my work has looked it up and we used it to gain information that 1 company had the monopoly over ( and paid for) and now we got it for free LOL.

but yeah look into it more if you want to hire winton for your self :P

why would anyone want to hire winton themselves to drift

heaps more massive headaches then just paying entry and turning up.

Well

you could split cost between say 20 people and have privet drift day

im looking at hiring a couple race tracks this year for privet track days for my self and close friends

how much would that cost though, isnt winton like 15k to hire? no idea where i got that from but yeh

Winton is much less than that, around $7.5k, they just get rorted due to previous board members stupid decisions. And I don't believe any of the previous board is still with Vicdrift.

The current Vicdrift board is doing a damn good job.

And Rob, just hire out mallala for a private day. It's only around $2.5k for a weekday.

Kriss you going to do circuit days :P none of this drift at my days as of yet :P unless i hire the thunderdome as the calder circuit is blocked off now due to concrete wall

Every year this comes up. Every year Calder lead people on and then ultimately say no and the topic fades away without actually posting what was said.

Good luck though.

:shades:

why would anyone want to hire winton themselves to drift

heaps more massive headaches then just paying entry and turning up.

there were 2 days like this in 07 and were easily the best time i have been on the track. was like less than 30 cars so no lines for what seemed like endless drifting

Komen do you remember how much you paid back then for 30 people on track?

Komen do you remember how much you paid back then for 30 people on track?

think it was like 200 each

and there was a shitty tyre changer and free BBQ for drivers and softdrinks to buy

LOL @ Rusty. where can i get an entry form for that???

Anyone remember Drift Fest back in the day? :lol:

Never been to Winton (CBF driving that far, Fark that), But the days at Calder were the bomb. Only an hours drive, And close to everyone/anything if anything breaks. Whereas at Winton, If you smash something, Your gone...