Sign in to follow this  
SR20NA

WRX v EVO

Ok, leaving the RWD cars, and diving into AWD, but now i have run into the drama of which one.

I am aware im asking on an WRX forum, hence bringing pro-WRX comments. but i wanna hear why?.

Why did you ( should i ) buy an WRX STI over a Evo. or if your not happy and wish you bought somthing else, state why.

and which WRX (STI) you have.

Cheers.

I chose a WRX for a number of reasons:

- $14,000 bought me a 99 WRX, $14,000 wouldn't have gotten me an Evo at all

- EVO interior's are poor quality compared to Subaru

- Parts were more abundant for the Subaru being locally delivered. In addition, I did not have a dealer telling me they would not get me parts because my car was an import

- On paper, it seemed to me as though the WRX would have better handling having a lower center of gravity engine and a North/South layout as opposed to the EVO's East/West

I did have my heart set on an EVO till I saw the price tag and the price tags for most of their parts.

^^^

agreed not much can be said without knowing a budget and purpose for the car.

a stock evo is really more comparible to a wrx sti, not a standard wrx.

Generally from what i have seen Evo's tend to break less stuff / require less work to reach fun power figures of 200-250awkw+

EVO can really only be directly compared with an STI WRX...

If your looking EVO vs standard WRX obviously the WRX will be much cheaper.

There are heaps of comparisons when you google. Both have positives and negative

If your serious take one of each for a test drive, see what suits you better.

i'd get an Evo, their seatbelts dont whistle.

EVO's are a bitch to work on when i was helping my mate who has an EVO 8

tried replacing coilpacks/spark plugs on a scoobie?

Easy.

Wrx look hot, but don't go as hard.

Evo go hard, but look like arse.

I own a my03 wrx and I wish I bought a my03 Sti instead.

i'd get an Evo, their seatbelts dont whistle.

EVO's are a bitch to work on when i was helping my mate who has an EVO 8

tried replacing coilpacks/spark plugs on a scoobie?

yes i know it is abit harder coz its on the two sides, you just have to take the washer bottle than the airbox out to get to both sides.

evo's really are over rated.

i have raced quite a few in my wrx and never had one beat me yet so they dont go that hard for what you pay for them.

i would buy an 05 wrx or sti as they have the 2.5 engine and a much stronger gearbox.

I have also heard WRX have weak gear box. My mate has a stock 05' WRX with a loud zorst sounds tough not what I would call quick. Have always for some reason had respect for evo's

evo's really are over rated.

i have raced quite a few in my wrx and never had one beat me yet so they dont go that hard for what you pay for them.

i would buy an 05 wrx or sti as they have the 2.5 engine and a much stronger gearbox.

true EVO's are over rated

I buy WRX only coz of the sound of the boxer engine hehe

but the new STi (the hatch not the sedan) are hot with wide body. The sedan even though it has a wide body, for some reason it doesn't look right.

the gearboxes are not really weak, it more or so comes down to how you treat them and what kind of power your putting through it. sure they are going to break if your launching all the time and abusing the shit out of it.

Should be STi or EVO, fairer comparison.

Most Evo's are grey imports which sway alot of people towards the STi's, not that many people on this site are worried about grey imports :lol:

Based on looks alone IMO My06-07 STi(hawkeye)beats Evo7,8,9. Evo10 beats My08,09,10 STi and My11 STi beats Evo10.

Gday Guys, thanks for all the feeback. from the beginning i was aware sti is a fairer comparison. just didnt realise i hadnt written it that way.

mmmm im starting to sway more towards the STI MY09 Hatch.

I love Evos but the turning circle is ridiculously bad and does get annoying after a while.

I just picked up a MY11 WRX; only 80odd km in thus far but it is a great car to drive - confidence inspiring grip and it looks trick with the wider panels etc

I just picked up a MY11 WRX; only 80odd km in thus far but it is a great car to drive - confidence inspiring grip and it looks trick with the wider panels etc

post up some pics mate

just get a wrx like the rest of the sheep population. Evo shits on subi, in just about every way. They go alot harder and dont break unlike the wrx. easy power. I thought they actually look quite nice! each to there own though.

Having previously owned an evo vi and having driven my friends modified 99 wrx, they are very different cars. Ive also driven an evo 7, 8MR, 03 and 05 STI's. Really should drive them and see what you think but when i was looking, stock for stock the subi's were far overpriced and underperforming in comparison. If youre gonna modify then pick whatever you like better :thumbsup:

If you buy a WRX go for the STI otherwise your wasting your time. I wish i followed that advice when i got mine..

I got the MY11 as I wanted a new car; there is nothing on the market (Evo) that meets that requirement.

MY11 STi & Evo X are a valid comparison but you are also talking close to $70k including on-roads. It gets harder to justify in this price range as you are now fishing in Euro territory (135i, Renault Megane RS etc).

^^ evo 10 has "YOR" control last sti I saw a review on the sti does not have it.

^^evo for the F***ing win

if you got some coin get a evo6 tme. make it breath and have fun with it.

subies are tail happy due to rwd platform and evo are fwd platform.

evos are abit to maintain (from exp brother owns evo6 tme) everything is on the pricey side.

the 4g engines are tough as bricks been tried and tested. stock oem parts have good power ratings eg. stock airbox good for 300+hp

my brothers stock jdm evo6 tme pulled 1.7bar

but yeah go evo all the way imo...

rwd platform subaru? :doh:

fwd platform evo?

They are both all wheel drive, i dont know that theres ever been a subaru rwd, and the mitsubishi is far more then a lancer with power added to the rear wheels.

fwd platform evo?

They are both all wheel drive, i dont know that theres ever been a subaru rwd, and the mitsubishi is far more then a lancer with power added to the rear wheels.

Lol effed that up :D

What i ment was from the engine layout of both cars come from different platforms, yes they are both awd cars but when you drive them you the feel how the cars react from having two different engine layouts.

Having been driving and being driven in a evo more then a wrx the handling between cars are notice able. As well as power between the two.

Also when comparing the two you have to go sti vs evo. ( think someone already said this )

Both have been converted to rwd for drifting purposes by team orange

Edited by s15sx

fwd platform evo?

Lol effed that up :D

What i ment was from the engine layout of both cars come from different platforms, yes they are both awd cars but when you drive them you the feel how the cars react from having two different engine layouts.

Having been driving and being driven in a evo more then a wrx the handling between cars are notice able. As well as power between the two.

Also when comparing the two you have to go sti vs evo. ( think someone already said this )

Both have been converted to rwd for drifting purposes by team orange

WRX's are far from tail happy, they understeer like a mother f**ker (in stock form)