Sign in to follow this  
Kobe sil15

the perfect sr20 turbo

so lately ive been searching for the perfect all round sr turbo. it has to be good for daily street, track, drift, drag, so the aim is 260rwkw and full boost by 3500-3800. mods to the car are:

EBC, blitz front mount, z32 afm, 3' intake dose pipe, split fires, 3' turbo back w/ hi flow cat, GFB bov (blocked anyway), nistune, 040 pump, sard fpr, nismo 740cc injectors. currently sitting at 210rwkw on the standard non bb s15 turbo.

Now the plan is to drop in some tomei poncams 256/256 11.5mm (keeping vct) and a low mount twin scroll 6 boost manifold with twin gates (if twin scroll).

but stuck between 4 different turbo set ups.

gtx2871 single scroll .64 (this option would keep the stock manifold)

gtx3067 twin scroll .61 or .83(.83 is probably too big for sr)

gtx3071 twin scroll .61 or .83

so far the 2871 seems like the most suited because it would be the faster spooling turbo that would reach the 260 mark, but is it worth going for a bigger twinscroll set up?

also, is it worth going for a vband 6 boost manifold with external gate or keeping the standard manifold and internal gate on the 287.

i was looking at the EFR 6758 on the t25 flange so it would bolt straight up to standard manifold. it made 303rwkw on e85 and almost identical boost curve and spool rate are a t28bb. the efr seems to kill the garrets in response and power on a very similar size turbo. does anyone know what it would take to get the efr to fit with a standard manifold or even with a 6 boost?

there's a bit of f**king around, I think it was ralliartRSX on nissan road racing forums did it, can't remember wtf he had to do, but possibly had to grind off a bit of the engine block or something

another option is to just get low mount manifold made up. If you go that far you might as well grab a twinscroll 6758 or 7163 to suit.

yet another option .. I seem to remember something about new, more compact EFR compressor housings coming.. they might fit more easily on stock mani.

Edited by Skepticism

Cost benefit you can't go past gtx28 on stock manifold. Yes, twin scroll twin gate efr kicks arse but it's an extra $4k when you're finished with the fab.

I'm speaking from experience. Currently building twin scroll twin gate efr 7670 on 2.3 stroked Evo...

• Upvote 1

seems like a huuuuuge pain to get the efr but definitely the best imo. they are just such good turbos. i thimk im going to give a couple fab shops a call and my tuner a call see if anyone has any experience and a rough price. although if its through the roof i might save it all for another day and do it with all the bells and whistles.