Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 907
Buying a B4 liberty - Hardtuned.net

Buying a B4 liberty 

9 replies to this topic

#1 ------ S-Tune ------

• Car:2001 S15 Spec R

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:09 AM

Hey all I'm thinking of getting a 2002 B4 Liberty and was hoping to get some advice off previouse owners. Also I'm interested in getting a auto model so was wondering what everyone's thoughts are on them, I was told the auto in the B4 is a STI box. True?
There's not many low km's models out there so I'm going to have to settle for something with over 200,000. What sort of problems are known on these models and how is the servicing on them

#2 Nathaniel Simeoni

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:22 AM

No the auto is not a sti auto, b4 are a lot of issues with head gasket failure at those sorta k,s turbo issue usually the first turbo goes. And the list goe on.

#3 ------ S-Tune ------

Posted 27 January 2013 - 05:30 PM

was there any problems with the auto's?
And also did they have a factory cruse control option or are they all after market fitted?

Edited by ------ S-Tune ------, 27 January 2013 - 06:08 PM.

#4 JLTS13

does this rag smell like chloroform to you???

• Platinum Member
  • Classifieds Items
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,079 posts
  • Car:R33 4 DOOR

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:52 PM

I've never personally seen a auto failure in one of these and I'm not sure on the Sti auto comment.
But I have done a couple of turbos on these, and replacement turbos are getting hard to find in good condition.

I believe cruise wasn't factory on these (one of subarus limited models to not come with factory cruise)

Head gaskets aren't as common on these like already posted, it's the 2.5l non turbos that have constant head gasket problems.

But make sure you get it all checked out at a workshop before purchasing one, good luck ;)

Have you considered looking at a slightly newer spec B liberty? They are a much better car all round and the non turbo boxer 6(H6) goes better then the B4 twin turbo and without the insurance problems that come with turbo cars ;) just a thought

Servicing isn't any worse then any other car but if the car is coming up to 200k like you say it will be due for a major service(which is due every 100,00 timing belt,sparks plugs, all oils, and all other service items its a service as big as they get) and can cost any where between $900-$1500 depending where you have it done

Edited by JLTS13, 27 January 2013 - 06:56 PM.

#5 ------ S-Tune ------

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:15 PM

Well iv found one at 103,000 Kms and under $10,000
I know there's alot better out there but iv always had a realy big fascination about the B4's. Plus you dont see many around as much as the WRX.
Im not after one for its performance value, for what iv read about the history they where a bit of a failer.
The one i looked at had a biut of a oil spot around the Right side turbo on the acuator. and some around the throtle body. The head gasket looked to be fine. other then that the body was perfect. the leather was a bit neglected but iv found that with all the B4's leather, never seen one in perfect condition some reason.

#6 Trapper

• Car:180sx

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:49 PM

Being offered a straight swap of a 03 b4 for my jeep atm, I am really interested in it even if it just comes down to resale value is better than the jeep and likely to get me a better option on a skyline if i go back to my nissans. Head gaskets i am not worried about but i keep seeing topics around online about how the aus delivered models pinged majorly while under load, is there any thruth to this? Apparently there has been a full service history with a service done 4000k back and a new alternator put in and its got 190k on the clock. I am probably going to take it to APC to do a prepurchase on it with a run on their dyno as well but anything i should look for when i look it over myself other than that mentioned above?

#7 Daniel-B4

• Car:Legacy B4

Posted 18 May 2013 - 10:02 AM

I own a Legacy B4 atm, looking to get rid of it...
turbos are a problem to find and replace especially if you have the auto.
I got replacements from japan.
I havent seen cruise control on a B4 yet unless they have added it after.
10k is a good price!
hope you have fun!

#8 wrx_my00

• Car:S14

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:50 AM

A B4 can be great fun. Find a few you like and test drive them. There will always be one that stands out and goes harder or feels better all round. Don't be afraid to make an offer on something a bit dearer you never know you luck. Try to find something with a good service history and that should reduce the chance of needing to fork out more money on repairs

#9 wildsr20

• Car:180sx

Posted 27 May 2013 - 06:56 PM

I have a B4 auto and haven't had a issue. Keeping it maintained and not flogging it seems to help. Great smooth car to drive, but if you want to go fast look elsewhere. These cars are a sports luxury. Performance is similar to a current model v6 commodore.

#10 80mushroom

• Car:S14

Posted 06 June 2013 - 11:15 AM

I have the equivelent of a B4 motor (legacy GT-B ) and the main thing I find is its a nice highway cruiser, in saying that be real careful if you change exhausts as you can end up damaging a turbo if you choose the wrong one (don't put a 3" on the first turbo).

The turbo setup on them utilises 5 solinoids and has a fair bit of extra plumbing but as long as it has good service history you should be ok. With the auto I think the main thing I have read is the trailing solinoid fails and forces it in to permananet 4wd and causes a bit of a shudder.

Edited by 80mushroom, 06 June 2013 - 11:16 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Common Links

• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • User Agreement
  • Help & Support Forums
  • Advertise
  •  

By your continued use of this site, you agree to follow all Rules & Guidelines and abide by the User Agreement outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

Hardtuned Network is hosted by Sanity Technology

Design, Site Management & Hotness provided by Loz.

Big thanks to all our members and volunteers for making this network what it is today!