2000 forester 

3 replies to this topic

#1 INMATE

Posted 11 August 2010 - 08:53 AM

Hey boys & girls. Basically my mother come to visit me this week, drive quite some way and she ownes a 2000 subaru forester. It's got 240,000kms on the engine, has oil leaking into the sparkplug holes, exhaust is about to rust off and has no power what so ever. She took it to a recomended home mechanic, who was suppose to change the timing belt and waterpump etc at 110,000kms but never did. slaped a sticker on but never cracked the bolts, took the money and ran.

So just want to fix the foz up for her, looking at options.

Find a low km replacement engine and drop that in.

Fix the one thats in it.

Find a low km ej20t engine and put that in.

have done bugger all work on subies, was going to check the timing but cant even find any info anywhere to tell me what cylinder no1 is for the timing light ffs! or what each mark on the crank is etc.. all i found was how to set the timing using all the lines on each gear/pully etc.

Any help would be appreciated!

#2 R32/Liberty

• Car:Liberty GT Spec B

Posted 11 August 2010 - 12:37 PM

I think you might as well sell it and get a new car. it isn't worth dropping a new engine. best bet is to get her a new car.

#3 Tsuro

• Car:1999 Subaru MY99 WRX, 1993 Nissan 180SX

Posted 20 August 2010 - 06:48 AM

Ok, first up the EJ20 is just like any other engine. If the timing belt has broken or skipped a tooth there's probably bent valves which usually puts an engine rebuild on the cars.
Cost that up vs getting a EJ20 from a wrecker.

Turbo'ing is an option, but why would you turbo a car for your mother? Also this will be somewhat expensive. If you stay TMIC you will basically need a front clip from a turboed forrester. If you use a WRX one you will need a lot of aftermarket parts.

If you're standing in front of the car, the cylinders go
3 4
1 2

You do realise if you changed the timing belt at 110,000 it should have been replaced again at 200,000? I wouldn't be really quick to blame somebody else's mechanical work since none of the things which you have claimed to be wrong with the car are caused by a timing belt and waterpump issue...

Exhaust rusting is usually caused by bad gaskets = poor maintenance
Oil leaking into spark plug holes? From where? the top of the engine? Rocker cover gaskets?

#4 higginz92

Posted 01 October 2011 - 12:46 PM

most likely also could be from YES the tappet cover gaskets but they also carry a seal around the plug hole inside the rocker cover..

And also please explain more about the timing light issue.?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

dfp

Common Links

• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • User Agreement
  • Help & Support Forums
  • Advertise
  •  

By your continued use of this site, you agree to follow all Rules & Guidelines and abide by the User Agreement outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

Hardtuned Network is hosted by Sanity Technology

Design, Site Management & Hotness provided by Loz.

Big thanks to all our members and volunteers for making this network what it is today!