Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 907
New 180sx owner - Hardtuned.net

- - - - -

New 180sx owner 

12 replies to this topic

#1 Steve180sx

• Car:180sx

Posted 15 May 2013 - 03:02 AM

Hey guys, just bought my first 180sx so all new to the sr20det. Was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on increasing the power without breaking the bank! I'd love it if i could get near the 300rwhp mark. It already has, apexi exhaust system with de-cat,hks induction kit,front mount intercooler,blitz t-timer! Any help would be appreciated.

#2 dr1ft_pig13 olds

• Car:My12 S-Edition Foz

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:34 PM

WELCOME to the forums & congrat's on ur purchase...have a look in the Sil Tech forums OLD Mark

#3 Steve180sx

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:58 AM

Cheer's man, il look it up now!

#4 wrx_my00

• Car:S14

Posted 20 May 2013 - 02:27 PM

Hey mate welcome to the forum. Looks like you already have a good base to start with so wont take long to get your target

#5 Steve180sx

Posted 02 June 2013 - 03:46 PM

Yeah i have all the basics done, just wasn't sure what mods to go for next?

#6 Barbie princess

Posted 02 June 2013 - 04:56 PM

welcome to the forum stavros.

#7 Steve180sx

Posted 03 June 2013 - 01:58 AM

Cheers mate!

#8 pmod

• Car:Fruity 180sx

Posted 03 June 2013 - 09:39 AM

View PostSteve180sx, on 15 May 2013 - 03:02 AM, said:

Hey guys, just bought my first 180sx so all new to the sr20det. Was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on increasing the power without breaking the bank! I'd love it if i could get near the 300rwhp mark. It already has, apexi exhaust system with de-cat,hks induction kit,front mount intercooler,blitz t-timer! Any help would be appreciated.

Welcome! If you're running the stock T25G turbo, then 300hp won't happen. 220hp is around the limit, and there really isn't a genuinely cheap way to net much more power on a 180sx; the turbo just runs out of puff too fast so you have to replace it.

Irrespective of which turbo you choose, if chasing more power you'll have to invest in injectors (550cc will support 300hp), fuel pump (Walbro 255 or Bosch 040), ECU and tune (Nistune daughterboard is a common choice here, but it really depends on what the tuners in your area support) and an AFM if chasing more than 200kw (Z32 is the most common upgrade).

If you want to keep it on a budget, get an S14/S15 T28 and shoot for around 250hp, or for more power on a budget, a lot of guys here get the Kinugawa turbos off eBay (chinese turbo of reasonable quality, or something along the lines of that). Cams would help you extract a better top-end power figure, but for the best response and price-point, just use the stock cams, or SR20DE cams for a subtle boost in top-end flow.

When increasing the power, you'll also want to consider engine mounts, clutch to hold the power, slave cylinder to match the clutch (results vary, and the slave can help with increased pedal weight), subframe mounts/collars because yours will likely be 15-20 years old and will axle-tramp all over the place and radiator, as the stock one struggles on factory boost. Replacing thermostat and as many water hoses and vacuum lines as you can would also be sensible, to avoid killing the turbo or engine due to old hoses splitting with increased heat.

Edited by pmod, 03 June 2013 - 09:47 AM.

#9 Steve180sx

Posted 05 June 2013 - 03:58 AM

Cheers mate that's alot of help,yeah I'm running a t25 at the moment but hopefully upgrading to the t28 soon, fuel pump and injectors to come after that!

#10 pmod

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:16 AM

Sweet. Just remember that whilst some changes don't require a tune (fuel pump) and some changes you can putt around town without much issue (oem T28 running factory boost), others definitely require a tune (injectors, AFM).

#11 Steve180sx

Posted 07 June 2013 - 04:01 AM

Cheers mate thanks for the info!:)

#12 Steve180sx

Posted 27 September 2013 - 09:39 AM

Hi guys,just Want to ask whats the best 180sx arch and quarter panel out there? Don't want to be too wide just a bit wider then standerd to improve the look of the car??

#13 pmod

Posted 27 September 2013 - 10:14 AM

Every fibreglass panel is of lower quality and visual fit/finish than the oem metal and chassis. If you buy genuine Jap panels you're likely to have fewer issues with fitment, but they still aren't on the same level as oem.

You may wish to consider checking out the wheel specs in the Offset Perfection thread (http://www.nissansil...l=&fromsearch=1), choosing wheels of a similar size and offset, then just getting a roll and flare to suit. Widebody looks horrible without wheels that fill the guards out properly, and without A LOT of panel work the terrible fit and finish of widebody kits just looks bad. Even in the case of Xris's 180sx, who is a professional and put a fair amount of effort put into getting his kit right, it's clear that it doesn't line up as well as oem.

It should also be mentioned that if you still with stock body + roll + flare, then you'll have a greater selection of decent wheels at decent prices, it will be far less work and be far more legal.

Edited by pmod, 27 September 2013 - 10:18 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Common Links

• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • User Agreement
  • Help & Support Forums
  • Advertise
  •  

By your continued use of this site, you agree to follow all Rules & Guidelines and abide by the User Agreement outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

Hardtuned Network is hosted by Sanity Technology

Design, Site Management & Hotness provided by Loz.

Big thanks to all our members and volunteers for making this network what it is today!